From the co-ordinator of the Robin Hood Tax campaign: “Unbelievably, the UK has mounted a legal challenge to the 11 European countries who are now moving forward to introduce an FTT worth a potential 40 billion euros in 2014. My first message to you is to ask that you to join onto an urgent action to George Osborne to get the UK government to drop this legal challenge.
As a quick bit of context, as of Jan 22nd this year the campaign made a serious breakthrough when European Finance Ministers approved that the FTT could be implemented by 11 countries under a rarely used procedure called “Enhanced Cooperation”. This means that the countries like the UK that are against FTT progress have effectively been sidelined. This jolted the financial sector lobby into action and they have started attacking the FTT in the media on a regular basis.
This should not dishearten us. That our opponents are now expending time, money and political capital to lash out at Robin Hood is a clear signal that we are in fact winning. That said there is no room for complacency, we have a lot to do, not least to strongly oppose George Osborne’s attempt to stop the European FTT. That’s where we need your help —
Today we’ve launched an e-action targeting George Osborne to RHT supporters. Please find the link here: http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=142&ea.campaign.id=20299
Please help snowball it.There are a few different ways your organisation can support the campaign through social media or emails to supporters — here is some suggested copy:
Facebook (picture above):
Not content with letting our own bankers off scot free, can you believe that now George Osborne is trying to derail the European Robin Hood Tax? Sign the petition NOW >> https://bit.ly/15Ublqe
Tweet: Can you believe @George_Osborne has mounted a legal challenge to the European @robinhood tax? Tell him to drop it > bit.ly/15Ublqe
Email supporters — suggested copy attached
And don’t forget to do it yourself and share with family and friends! If you have any questions or comments do get in touch.
Have a great bank holiday weekend!
Robin Hood Tax
Mobile: 07949 290290
- UK: George Osborne drop legal challenge against Robin Hood Tax (thomaswensing.wordpress.com)
- Robin Hood Tax, Not Corporate Greed, Should be Focus of Climate Finance Meetings, Say Activists (ips-dc.org)
- Majority in the US: Redistribute Wealth, Enact ‘Robin Hood Tax’ (commondreams.org)
- The Financial Transaction Tax: How Legislators and Voters Can Be Robin Hood (youngprogressivevoices.com)
- HMRC let Goldman Sachs off tax to avoid ‘major embarrassment’ for George Osborne (taxresearch.org.uk)
- U.S. Rep Introduces ‘Robin Hood Tax’ to Fight Austerity-Agenda (commondreams.org)
- Tax chief waived £20m owed by bank ‘for fear of embarrassing chancellor’ (guardian.co.uk)
- George Osborne to challenge proposed financial transaction tax in court (guardian.co.uk)
- Regulator kept in dark over George Osborne loan plan (independent.co.uk)
- Modern-day Robin Hood robs bank to help the homeless: ‘The banks had been bailed out but not the people’ (metro.co.uk)